Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production.
Now, nearly 30 years later — thanks to the neighbors and friends we’ve been fortunate enough to serve — we have opened 14 cafés along the West Coast, we have two very busy roasteries in Los Angeles and Portland, and we produce a growing line of delicious cold brew coffees. We’ve also been profoundly lucky to see the development of dozens of new organic coffee farms around the world and are proud to continue sharing their exceptional coffees with you. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an efficient, and quality-obsessed Line Cook to join our growing team and jump-start their career. Leveraging your knowledge of breakfast and lunch items (such as omelets, scrambles, breakfast burritos, and sandwiches), you’ll wear many hats and do everything from station set up and maintaining cleanliness to running food to the FOH, station break down, and dishwashing. As a Groundwork Line Cook, you will work a full-time schedule, and must be both detail-oriented and able to multi-task. If you love a great cup of coffee (or tea), embody a positive “can-do!” attitude, and are enthusiastic about your craft, then please apply today!
$16.00/hr + tips ($4 to $8 per hour)
What You’ll Do:
- Understand, read, and execute the production schedule
- Supervise staff and delegate duties when necessary
- Ensure appropriate health and safety standards and Food Handler practices
- Monitor equipment performance, demonstrate use of new equipment
- Inventory management
- Butcher meats from primal to usable portions with the highest yield possible
- Prepare a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items using standardized recipes for cooking in ovens, grills, pans and a variety of other kitchen equipment
- Assume 100% responsibility for quality of products served
- Know and comply consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period;
- Portion food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment
- Prepare item for grilling, frying, sautéing or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating
- Follow proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes
- Handle, store and rotate all products properly;
- Complete required tasks within assigned time frame
- Performs related duties such as helping to wash dishes as needed, preparing recycling, cleaning around the establishment and help with any other projects as assigned by the Chef
- If a meal is returned for any reason, correct the problem and report the return to the Chef
What It Takes To Rock This Role:
- Short order and sauté station expertise
- Line cook experience is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to listen effectively
- Valid ServSafe certification
- Must be able to lift at least 50lbs
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Ability to operate machinery including but not limited to; mixers, blenders, slicers, toasters, ovens, proofers, sandwich presses, and microwaves
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun retail environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every other week
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.