Groundwork Coffee specializes in batch-roasted, certified organic coffees and artisanal teas. From our humble roots as a rare book store and cafe back in 1990, Groundwork would go on to become one of the first certified organic coffee roasters in Southern California, as well as the largest organic coffee roaster in Los Angeles. A truly local pioneer in fair trade and fairly traded coffee and tea sourcing, we remain committed to sustainable business practices, including maintaining direct relationships with growers and importers who promote responsible coffee and tea production.
Now, nearly 30 years later — thanks to the neighbors and friends we’ve been fortunate enough to serve — we have opened 14 cafés along the West Coast, we have two very busy roasteries in Los Angeles and Portland, and we produce a growing line of delicious cold brew coffees. We’ve also been profoundly lucky to see the development of dozens of new organic coffee farms around the world and are proud to continue sharing their exceptional coffees with you. From the ground up, Groundwork is steadfast in its commitment to the values of quality, sustainability and community.
We are looking to hire an energetic and talented Director of Sales, Foodservice to join our growing team! The Director of Sales, Foodservice (DSF) is responsible for the development and implementation of growth strategies and expansion in the Food Service Channel and the acceleration of Groundwork Coffee presence in the Western Region. As the voice of the customer and marketplace and in strong partnership with Sales and Marketing leadership, the DFS plays a pivotal role in diversifying Groundwork Coffee market visibility through new segments and channels. If you love a great cup of coffee (or tea), embody a positive attitude, and are enthusiastic about Foodservice Sales, then please apply today!
What You’ll Do:
- Drive the development of a detailed sales plan that is in alignment with the company’s overall sales goals
- Motivate, lead, and mentor the wholesale sales team by managing the pipeline, setting benchmarks and goals for each member of the team
- Develop tools and strategies with the COO & Director of Marketing in order to meet future sales growth
- Utilize analytics, team member and customer experience to identify key areas of improvement in the sales process
- Create, implement, and maintain Wholesale sales programs within each sales channel
- Vigilantly safeguard the brand integrity and product quality within Wholesale accounts, including declining sales opportunities where warranted
- Expand and optimize a profitable tech service program
- Actively manage and develop strategic accounts
- Work with HR in all aspects of recruitment, selection, and training of new Wholesale team members
- Manage distributor channel and customers
- Serve as point of contact for Wholesale team to other departments and COO
- Manage foodservice sales operations and ensure sustained growth by leading others to achieve success while creating and maintaining a highly active pipeline; ensure team sales pipelines are kept up-to-date in CRM
- Meet or exceed quarterly sales objectives; identify and address areas for improvement in foodservice sales processes
- Ensure that Groundwork is represented as superior quality organic coffee in all foodservice sales segments
- Advance customer and team member experience via continuous improvement of foodservice sales pillars (ex. New customer solicitation, onboarding, ongoing support, training and education, marketing, etc.)
- Create market segmentation and channel management strategy, resulting in increased brand awareness and new customer acquisition
- Build and maintain close, trusting relationships with accounts, team members and facilitate open communication
- Build and maintain positive, professional relationships with our customers
- Be knowledgeable in all aspects of our sales and customer service policies, objectives, and initiatives
- Recruit, train, and develop a world class sales team
- Improve customer service experience by taking ownership of customers' issues and following problems through to resolution
- Assist in building and maintaining a positive, energetic culture
- Cultivate an environment of excellence based on outstanding execution Groundwork ambassador responsibilities
- Manage others to establish and maintain productive and professional relationships with all customers
- Identify and actively pursue relationships with cafes, restaurants, and hospitality companies that align with Groundwork brand and quality standards
- Ensure inbound leads receive professional responses in a timely manner
- Collaborate with Coffee, Marketing, Finance, and Ops to continuously update offerings and industry products in the interest of advancing customer experience
- Partner with Marketing Team to ensure that prospective and current customers receive applicable sales collateral and materials they needed to represent Groundwork wholesale and “Proudly Serving” programs
- Conduct HQ roastery tours and host product tastings
- Consult prospects on all logistical needs in order to best support customers and showcase Groundwork products
- Assist with wholesale and marketing events as directed
What It Takes To Work Here:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Proven experience as manager of operations or equivalent position
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
- Outstanding communication and people skills
- Knowledge of industry’s legal rules and guidelines
- In depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles (e.g. supply chain, finance, customer service etc.)
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Familiarity with MS Office and various business software (e.g. ERP, CRM) BSc/BA in business administration or relevant field; MSc/MA will be a plus
We strive to be the best place our employees have ever worked, and to produce the best coffee our customers have ever sipped. As a part of our team, you’ll be working with people who are down-to-earth, friendly, and passionate in a casual, caffeinated, and fun environment.
*Benefits are offered to eligible employees and are subject to change.
- Free Coffee to Take Home: 1 pound Bulk Coffee or ¼ Pound Loose Leaf Tea every week
- Free Coffee in the Office: Nitro & Cold Brew on Tap, Espresso Machine, Brewed Batches, etc.
- Employee Discount Program: Discounts on Food, Beverage, & Merchandise
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off: Including Sick Hours, Vacation, and Holidays
- Commuter Program: Substantially Subsidized Metro Pass
- 401(k): To Invest in Your Future!
Groundwork is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regards to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.